Workgroups are the most important aspect of HTNG, where hotels and vendors collaborate to solve the most difficult industry challenges. To understand workgroups better, click on the links below.
- Each workgroup addresses a very specific business problem, such as lack of key capabilities in a device, the need to support multiple complex software interfaces among coordinated systems, or identifying the best approach for deploying a new and risky technology.
- Each workgroup creates, as an end deliverable, a solution to the problem. Vendors deploy the solution so that hotels can buy it.
- Typical workgroups Involve about 5-15 people, working together over a limited time period with specific deliverables.
- Workgroups receive guidance from additional hoteliers ("business advisors") who are interested in the results but not the technical details.
- Workgroups operate under board-approved charters with a pre-agreed definition of the business problem, a general description of the solution, and a limited time-frame.
- Regular meetings (usually weekly or bi-weekly) by web conference; many workgroups also meet periodically face-to-face
- Workgroups publish all working documents on a collaboration site, viewable by all HTNG members.
- Documentation, standards, white papers, and best practices may be necessary ot the solution, but the objective is normally a tangible solution, rather than paper.
Participation DetailsConsists of five stages:
- Prospective: an idea put forth by members for a possible workgroup
- Incubation: an informal group of interested people working together to write a proposed charter
- Active: a formally chartered group of members doing the work
- Maintenance: the same group overseeing minor updates to completed work
- Retired: solutions completed, workgroup disbanded; oversight of released specifications moves to the forum
- One company, one vote: small hoteliers and vendors have equal voice to their largest competitors, ensuring that no one company can dominate decisions.
- Regular participation is usually required to retain your voting rights!
- HTNG members may sign up for any new workgroup at launch (instructions provided with launch announcement)
- Members can also apply to Join an Existing Workgroup.
- There is no cost to join any workgroup that is associated with the forum(s) included with your HTNG membership.
- Face-to-face meetings are free for most participants. You may incur fees if you have certain discounted membership types, or if your company sends multiple attendees.
- Non-members of HTNG may participate in incubation workgroups by teleconference only. Once the workgroup is chartered, they must join HTNG to continue participating.
- To get on the mailing list for a prospective or incubation workgroup visit the Prospective Workgroup Effort page and complete the form at the bottom..